Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Rediscovering The Sound of Music

I grew up with The Sound of Music. I have known every word the music, the timing and the pacing since as long as I can remember. But it's been years since I watched it, maybe even a decade. I have seen it on stage, but I know the show so well, I never thought about how long it had been since I watched it.

My sister, in her wisdom, chose the 45th Anniversary BluRay version for my birthday present. It arrived today and I put it in. It's amazing what time will do to your perception of a film.

First, I forgot how long it is. This is why I'm writing this at 2 am - I just finished watching it. Heavens, but it's long. On a positive note, I didn't realize how late it was until I stopped watching the film, so that's a good thing.

There's so much I never noticed as a child. I never noticed how different the Captain is when he's with the Baroness and Max at the beginning of the film - how his tone and temper changes drastically from the way he addresses his children and Maria. His charming banter, as well as the Baroness' flirting and suggestion, completely went over my head before. That's a pattern, actually. The development of the relationship between Maria and the Captain is so much clearer when you've been through it yourself. I can see the looks and the moments that worried the Baroness - as well as her jealously, which I had never caught. I knew for some reason I didn't quite like her, because I think I knew that the Captain was supposed to marry Maria, so this woman was in the way, but the jealousy is rather subtly played, as is her victory attitude when she convinces Maria to leave. I still, however, found the same reaction to her comment about boarding school, which can't be typed in polite company. I just have better words for it now.

I also noticed how well acted this movie is. The music and the children were always my focus as a child, because of course I noticed and was interested in the things I could relate to. Also, the children are entertaining. But the awkwardness in the Captain when he goes to find Maria (after he and the Baroness have called it off in a rather adult way) - that is the awkwardness of a man who is interested in a woman and doesn't know how she'll react. I know that emotion, I've seen it! The attempt at being playful that comes across poorly - accurate. And her response (Something Good, one of my favorite songs) is so very real - what did I ever do to deserve this and how can I do it again? It's so touching and captivating when you have something to relate it to, rather than wishing they'd hurry up so we could get back to the kids.

Speaking of the kids, Liesl's attempt at and then dissolution of relationship with Rolph is very hard to watch. So beautiful when they have their first kiss - that tension and excitement. And then so very sad when it all crumbles and she realizes it fully. I think she handled it better than any 16 year old I knew...but then again, she is going on 17.

Small things I noticed too. For example, I know that the girl who played Gretl almost drowned in the scene where they fall in the lake. And sure enough, when the boat topples, she grabs on to the side and then is seen being carried to land. Everyone else is laughing - she's crying. It's only a second, but there it is. Apparently, the actress has been deathly afraid of water ever since.

So, yes, it was wonderful to see again. I had missed this movie, and a lot of other Rogers and Hammerstein films that I grew up with. Like I said to my sister, the hardest part about growing up is realizing you don't own any of your movies - your parents do!

No comments:

Post a Comment