Wednesday, February 9, 2011

NYC Cleaning House

Since I get the New York Times streamed to my Google Reader, I read a lot about New York City politics. I don't read most of it past headlines since a) I don't live in NYC and thus don't care much and b) I get the really big stuff from NPR. However, there has been a trend lately that I've noticed. The city has been cracking down on past due fines and such. Outstanding parking tickets were first and now I'm reading that they're pushing principals to make parents who owe for school lunches pay up (or else pull it from their budget elsewhere).

I support this. I don't always agree with the laws and the way they're implemented, but until they're changed, they are the laws. I think a speed limit on the interstate is silly if your driving is otherwise safe (full disclosure - I speed. Often. And a lot.), but when I get pulled over, I admit what I did and pay a fine. Why? Because I knowingly and willingly broke the law. So I can't get mad at the cop for doing his job.

What I don't understand is why the city had to be in a huge financial mess to start enforcing the laws. I recognize that some of them are costly to enforce (tracking down parking ticket violators is not fun or cheap), but it seems like the city has reallocated employees to these jobs rather than hiring new ones. This money could have been used elsewhere previously - that's why we have fines*. To pay for stuff! Roads, salaries, pensions, etc. I'm happy to see them getting their ship in order, but why did it take a hurricane to do it?

*Okay, and as a psychological deterrent. People are less likely to break laws that have a tangible punishment. This is why points systems on driver's licences works. You mess up enough times, it doesn't matter if you keep paying - eventually, you lose your licence. I admit that I have parked illegally at school (our spots are full of snow!) and done the "be on time vs $10 fine" conversation. Ten dollars was worth it. Got a ticket, paid it, moved on with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment