Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Sad State of Progress



In addition to spending a great deal of time at Disneyland in my childhood, my family also visited Knotts' Berry Farm. I distinctly remember one such visit when my father and I went alone (I think my sister was still very small). Specifically, we rode the Soap Box Racers more than once. Dad used the ride to demonstrate how weight distribution can influence speed when going around corners. The lesson has never left me. Also, it helped that we won every race.

Tonight, while avoiding writing a research paper, I did a little research on the current rides and status of Knotts'. Most of the history I was already familiar with, but I was heartbroken to realize that the Soap Box Racers were removed in the late 90's and replaced with yet another roller coaster that is nearly identical to several others.

So sad. Completely heartbroken. When Disney replaced the traditional submarines with a Finding Nemo ride, at least the subs are still there - you can point to them and say what they once were. But the Soap Box Racers are just gone. This is what happens when something owned by a family for decades is moved into corporate hands. All the soul has been leaked out in the name of money, which is exactly why the Knotts family didn't sell to Disney. Makes me sad to see.

However, we shall never forget that Walter Knotts invented the term boysenberry to name and market the hybrids of his friend, Boysen. Knotts and his family ran a road side berry and jam stand way back at the beginning and our modern knowledge and use of boysenberries is the result of his developing and marketing. In the summer, Knotts' Berry Farm still does boysenberry pie eating contests.

Why can't I adsorb information on Seljuq Empire as easily?

No comments:

Post a Comment