Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review: Rise of the Guardians

I saw Rise of the Guardians shortly after it opened and I love this movie. I will own it once it's available in March, it's that good.

To recap the plot, the Guardians are tasked with the protection of the things that make children sacred - wonder, hope, memories of childhood, and dreams. They consist of Nicholas St. North (Santa, voiced by Alec Baldwin), E. Aster Bunnymund (the Easter Bunny, voiced by Hugh Jackman), Tooth (the Tooth Fairy, voiced by Isla Fisher), and Sandy (the Sandman, who does not speak). They are informed by the Man in the Moon that they need to bring Jack Frost (voiced by Chris Pine) on board to deal with Pitch Black (the Boogeyman, voiced by Jude Law), who is turning Dreams into Nightmares and killing the belief in the Guardians.

The voice acting is fantastic. I love Jude Law as a villain and all the Guardians are well voiced.  I'm a sucker for a beautiful movie and this one fits the bill, both with plot and visuals. The animation is so beautiful and avoids the hyper-realism that animation leans towards, which annoys me. Hugh Jackman is always a favorite, but him as the masculine, Australian Easter Bunny is really enjoyable.

I highly recommend this movie and encourage everyone to see it. It restores hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment