Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review: Les Miserables (2012)

As a big fan of the musical, I was skeptical. Movie versions of musicals don't always translate well, but my utter love for Dreamgirls and Mamma Mia spurred me on, and so I approached with good faith.

My good faith was rewarded with a beautiful film.

We'll start with the acting. The acting was incredibly well done, but that wasn't in question with such a stellar cast. The large roles were played by reliable, excellent actors who took the desperation and hope of the story and expressed them with every expression and word. The chemistry between Hugh Jackman as Val Jean and Russell Crowe as Javert was incredible. As important as that relationship is onstage, it's doubly so when the audience can see the flash of determination and the glint of unwavering righteousness in the actors' eyes.

The singing was my biggest fear. I was familiar with Amanda Seyfried's voice from Mamma Mia and expected exactly what I got - a clear soprano that uses a bit more vibrato at the high ranges than I like, but is understandable for someone who isn't a professional singer and thus doesn't use her voice enough to develop a really strong high range. I thought she did beautifully. I've never liked the role of Cosette (partly because I like Eponine so much), but I at least like the character more under Seyfried's management.

The surprise for me came with Anne Hathaway. I knew the woman could act, but I was unprepared for what a stunning voice she has. Fantine is a tragic and heart-wrenching role and Hathaway did it not only justice, but embraced it in a beautiful way. Her rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream" broke my heart. Stunning.

The men were less stunning vocally. As actors, I can't say a word against them - both carried the intensity and conviction of their roles on broad shoulders. Val Jean's death is beautifully done. Neither actor could carry the role vocally onstage, as Jackman's voice is a little thin and Crowe doesn't have the range. But for a movie, Jackman was good and Crowe's singing didn't detract from his moving performance.

Finally, I was really happy to see both Samantha Barks and Colm Wilkinson onscreen. Barks reprised her role as Eponine (Barks performed the role on the West End and sang it for the 25th Anniversary Concert) and proved she could do it with a camera in her face. I really like her voice and I was very happy to see that she translates nicely to film, since not everyone does. Colm Wilkinson was a treat. I have a deep love for that man's voice and to see him in the role of the Bishop was lovely. The addition of him to the death of Val Jean was perfect.

The scale of the drama as presented on the screen was phenomenal. Stagecraft creates a breathtaking moment with the building of the barricade, but to see the prison, the barricade, Paris, onscreen in full scope...I think it brought the message of the production home.

No comments:

Post a Comment