Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Charmed (all 8 seasons)


a dark blue triquetra over a darker blue background that fades to black near the edges with the word "charmed" in capital letters across the center using a light-blue, medium-sized font

Isn't it amazing that we can watch an entire run of a show in one sitting, if we so choose, online? I was thinking the other day about how, even a few years ago, you had to buy all the seasons you wanted, and many of them weren't available on DVD. Now, thanks to Netflix and similar services, we can watch it all for a fraction of the cost. Genius.

Anyway, I just finished all 8 seasons of Charmed. The show is fantastic until about season 7, when it slows down. This is also when my patience for Rose McGowan wore out, so I admit I might be biased. However, the end of season 8 was so well done. I get frustrated when a story that I've been engaged in and characters that I've gotten to know end without me knowing what happens "next". What are their lives like until they die? The story doesn't end, for me, until the characters do. One of the things Charmed did well was give us the future. We know what happened next, who married who, which kids were had, etc. We know that Wyatt becomes all powerful, but a good guy, and he and Chris lead the next generation of Halliwells (of which there are 9). I like that we know this!

I admit I got sniffly. Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) finally found her love and got married in a flash-forward, which was sweet and her Holy Grail. Piper (Holly Marie Combs) got Leo back (and we love having Brian Krause back cause he's pretty) and they had a third child. And Paige (McGowan) has her kiddies and becomes a Whitelighter guru blah blah (sorry, she really irritates me). So they got what they wanted, in the end, and redeemed Billie (Kaley Cuoco). I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

Eight seasons is an investment. In the end, the writers and creators made Charmed worth the investment. To me, that's a good ending to a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment